F O C U S and to become more M I N D F U L
This is how to practice SHARKFIN
1. Begin with the 5 S's:
Sit or stand or lie STRAIGHT, (sit) STILL, (sit) SILENTLY, breathe SLOWLY, eyes SHUT
2. Take the side of your hand, put your thumb against your forehead with your fingers lined up beside your thumb
3. As you breathe in try to relax your body; as you breathe out with a long slow SHHH, draw your hand down from your forehead, your nose, throat. stopping at your heart centre
4. You can just leave your one hand at your heart centre or bring your other hand to meet in prayer or Namaste position at your heart or maybe you'd like to put your hand(s) flat on your heart centre. Do what feels comfortable and right to you.
5. Stay in this position and just breathe, still practising the 5 S's for as long as you feel comfortable or for a predetermined amount of time. Even just a few breaths is OK to start. You can try to practice for longer each day if you can. You can draw pictures in your mind of feeling safe, loved and loving while you do this exercise to be mindful.
6. If you are alone a programmed soft chime (on a phone or other device is OK) would be a nice way to come out of this quiet place. If someone is there with you, they could quietly sound a chime or singing bowl or just say it's time to bring yourself slowly back into the room. Wiggle your fingers, wiggle your toes, move your shoulders, arms and legs, open your eyes and finally come fully back into the room when you are ready. Know there is no need to rush. Take as much time as you need to come back slowly and smoothly.
7. Take a minute to see if you are feeling more relaxed.
8. Do this as a formal practice or on the spot for just a breath or two if you need to calm or feel more focused.
9. BE YOUR OWN SUPERHERO IN TIMES OF STRESS
Draw how you feel.
Think about sharks. What do you admire about them? What makes you fear them?
What in your life makes you think it is like a shark - good or not so good?
Do you feel like you're sinking or swimming?